Being thankful for the gifts that God gives me each day helps me to keep a positive attitude and gives me a better perspective. I need to be reminded of all the good things I do have so I don’t waste time focusing on what I don’t have.
Thankfulness is key in living a contented life.
Awhile back I read the book, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Ann’s book really helped me to look more closely and see the many gifts that God gives me each day, the big gifts but even more so the small gifts that we don’t always notice.
A good practice is to write out each day things that you are thankful for. Also it is a good thing to do on your day of Sabbath rest, to look over your past week and make a gratitude list. I enjoy taking pictures, so sometimes I will actually be able to capture some of the things I am thankful for on camera. I would like to share with you this week some of the recent gifts God has given me.
1. A Beautiful sunset
2. Beauty growing in the desert.
3. My family. I couldn’t have asked for a better man to share my life with. And my daughter is such a fun girl. Each of the moments of silliness and laughter with her are a special gift!
4. God’s protection over my family. In the past week, my daughter fell and busted her lip, and my husband Ian twisted his arm hang gliding so its been crazy week in that area. Yet its not too hard to see God’s hand of protection on them both even through injuries.
5. Provision – a “good Samaritan” hang glider pilot who took Ian to the hospital and helped him get checked into a hotel, since I wasn’t able to get there right away.
6. So much beauty in creation- birds singing, fruit trees to pick from, lizards.
7. Cheap and fresh avocados!
8. All of my muscles working without me even having to think about it! Since Ian pulled/twisted his shoulder muscles and is unable to currently use them like he normally would, its made me think how wonderful it is to have all of my muscles working properly.
9. That Jesus who was completely innocent died so the guilty (me!) could go free is so crazy. I am thankful that He keeps reminding me of this truth. I deserve nothing, my works cannot bring about my salvation. But because of Jesus I can receive this incredible gift of salvation!
10. How much Ivy loves animals, and getting to see her excitement over them. She thought this was a kitty 🙂
It is not hard to find things to be thankful for, especially when it becomes something you practice on a regular basis. The Bible is constantly reminding us to give thanks to God!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “ Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
Psalm 118:29 “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
Psalm 100:4 “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”
Colossians 2:6-7 “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.“
Colossians 3:15 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.”
I am hopeful that as I recognize the good gifts that God has given me and thank Him for these things that I will develop a heart of thankfulness. Its good to stretch and grow my thankful muscles. 🙂
What are you thankful for this week? Do you look each day for the gifts God is giving you?